Tuesday, February 11, 2014

rejoice

With Dylan I am currently reading 'Catching their talk in a box', the life story of Joy Riddenhof. I had never heard of her before yet she is one of the first, it seems, to travel all over the world and record programs in various dialects and languages, producing records that were then given to many many people so they might hear the Good News.

Apparently, whenever she ran out of money or supplies or had to deal with difficulties of any kind, she would say: "Let us rejoice! Now we will see how God will take care of us." And she would run to the door and wait expectantly for someone to bring her whatever she needed at that time. Which always seemed to happen and come true for her.

I admire that. My tendency is to despair, then try and figure something out on my own, then get angry at everyone for the predicament I am in, then rack my brain for more ideas on how to get out of this predicament. And then, I might turn to God, begging Him to please please help me. Never do I rejoice.

The other day, I said to David:"If you want to buy a second car, you should get yourself a paying job." It was intended to be humorous but it stuck with me and as I pondered I was reminded of Matthew: 'Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.'

At times I get tired of this life - of living on a budget, of feeling indebted to others. I get tired of money being an issue, not necessarily just for me personally but for the work we want to do as well. I get angry, at times, for the seemingly 'wasteful' way some people can afford to live. And wish everything could be redistributed. And I could be in charge. :)

But there it is: 'Seek first His Kingdom'. I don't usually see this as the privilege it is. We don't have to worry. We can be as carefree as the lilies of the field. We can rejoice. Because we are in the right place and I have never lacked anything.


No comments: