Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chinese hospital

We just came back from the hospital about two hours ago. The hospital was built by the Chinese and now has a cooperation with the German government who has funded training and some equipment (like a fancy new ultrasound machine which we have tested ourselves). So far, every visit there has been an experience - the rooms are dirty, the toilets stink, cockroaches run around everywhere, the family has to supply all the food and medicine and all in all you just REALLY hope to never have to go there for an emergency because you'll probably come out sicker...And this is the best hospital in this province, and maybe even in the entire North.

A friend called us asking if we could go as his sister-in-law had gone into early labor. He himself was out of town and had received a very distressed phone call from his wife, who was in tears and could not fully explain what had happened. He asked if we would go and see them and maybe pray for them, too.

When we got there, they had already lost the Baby. She had gone into early labor at 7 months (about as far along as I am) and they tried to deliver the Baby but it must have been in the wrong position as the hands came out instead of the head. So the doctor's performed a c - section but could not safe the Baby.

The couple just got married in May (I didn't realize she was pregnant when we attended the wedding ceremony) and the young husband sat there while his wife was still sleeping due to the anaesthesia. It's so hard to know what to do and say, especially when our language skills are still so limited but David did pray for him. And I'm thankful that that is something we can always offer to do for people here.

It's hard to imagine the night they will have - her waking up with a flat belly, him having to tell her that their Baby has died. Having to deal with this loss and having the physical pain of an incision to constantly remind her of this loss for the next few days and weeks. And at the same time my Baby is kicking away and is healthy and well.

It makes me feel so helpless knowing that in almost every other country a Baby born at around 30 weeks would have a pretty good chance of surviving. But here, due to a lack of knowledge and equipment and maybe just plain concern for the individual life this Baby did not make it. And I shudder to think of how often this must be the case, not only here in town where there is a hospital but even more so in the villages where the closest medical center usually is at least a day's march away...

It makes me grateful for my life - the excellent medical care I am able to enjoy and which I take for granted, the education I have had the privilege of receiving that has taught me certain common sense life skills that make it easier for me to stay healthy in the first place, and mostly a relationship with my Creator which affects every area of my life and Who promises to give me hope and a future - no matter what the circumstances might be. So that I can be comforted and be at peace.

And so we will continue to pray for this couple - for physical and emotional healing. But mostly for them to eventually find comfort and peace in the One who can give them hope and a future.

No comments: