Sunday, August 17, 2008

more goodbyes

It's been an emotional week for me as the time to say goodbye to our good friends here in Laos came closer and closer. Even though I have had to say goodbye so many times throughout my life it has never gotten easier. But this time was made harder in that Dylan had to say goodbye to his friend, too. I'm not just sad for myself but for Dylan as well. I guess he will get over it fairly quickly, at least more quickly than David and I who will miss Ferrells a lot.

Now I'm glad that after a last lunch together I could finally get it over with. The saying goodbye bit. I am thankful for the time we had together although I know that some of my days will be empty now without them around.

And so I'm all the more glad that my mom is coming in just 2 days and that Dylan gets to start kindergarden soon. That will make transition a little easier.

David is in the capital this weekend, buying a car. A Toyota Pickup that will hopefully serve us a bit better than our Beijing Jeep in getting around town and this country. We are so thankful for the chance we've had of getting this vehicle!

The boys are still asleep though I'll have to go wake them if I want them to go to sleep again at a reasonable hour. We've had busy days, hanging out with our friends as they were packing up and trying to squeeze as much together time into this week as possible.

David goes back to teaching in about two weeks. We've enjoyed this school free days.

I have struggled with feeling ineffective these past few weeks, not feeling like I'm getting anywhere or accomplishing anything, not reaching the goals and dreams I had for our life here. But I've been encouraged once again reading Brennan Manning who quotes Francis of Assissi. It's not what I do or accomplish or succeed in that makes me great in any way. But I am what I am in God's sight and nothing more.

I've been reminded that I just need to be faithful in the small things. And God does all the rest.

No comments: