Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dragonfruit

This is what the plant looks like, it's kind of like a cactus. The green things are the ripening dragonfruits. When they are ripe they are a bright pink color. The inside looks kind of like a kiwi fruit, but the flesh is white or red.
The ripening dragonfruit
This is the flower that blooms and then turns into the fruit.
Blossoming
First buds
The first time I ate this fruit was after coming to this country but it wasn't until we moved into this house (our 4th home)that we had our very own dragonfruit producing plant. And it's the coolest 'fruit tree' I have encountered so far.

In the 6 months we have lived here we have had one harvest and I documented the different stages, mainly for my niece Sylvana who loves dragonfruit, too. And of course for you!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, I never saw the plant before. Now I can see what it looks like. It's quite different from what I expected. :) Ahhhh- I miss dragonfruit!!

Michael and Nadja said...

That is awesome! I've seen the fruit it in stores but it's much cooler to see the actual plant!